When I were a lad…
Back when I were a kid, we had :-
- Lead toys painted with arsenic to put in our mouths.
- Our parents read bedtime stories from Haynes how to manuals for :-
- How to Climb interior Chimney Stack and remove the soot (Ages 3-5)
- Munition Shell cleaning for toddlers (Ages 2-4)
- The art of Pick a pocket or two (all ages)
- Matchstick Making (All Ages)
- Parkour and Steeplejacking for 2 years olds.
- We’d wear clothes made out of old sacks (The Posh ones did at least) and the choice of colour was soot black or wholesome dirt.
- And walk home 23 miles in our bare feet (well you had to go where the work was) after a 27 hour shift.
- The only colour of face painting was purple because of ring worm…
- Nursery Rhymes reminding us to stay away from people with colds because we will probably die… (A Tishoo… A Tishoo)
- Sorry about that must be hay fever or something…😱
- And we’d all fear the child catcher…
This was of course necessary to earn our keep in the hope we’d get a bowl of gruel. We usually ate 2-3 times a week, unlike that spoilt Oliver fat fella who was guaranteed a daily meal and never satisfied…
Fast forward to today however, I feel I’ve toughened up over those years but nothing, NOTHING could prepare me for this song…
Kids today, don’t know they’re born…
What the actual…?
LikeLiked by 1 person